Arts and Crafts, Service, Social Studies
Consider American symbols and create your own symbol in honor of 9/11.
Paper, Markers/crayons, Pencils, Art supplies
EXPLAIN: Many people show support of a group by using symbols. People support sports teams, clubs, and schools by having symbols. A symbol is an object that stands for something else.
DISCUSS: What is a symbol you can identify for your school/favorite sports team?
EXPLAIN: The United States has a number of symbols that represent this country.
ASK: Can you identify any American symbols?
- Symbols of the United States | Facts about the U.S. | Made by Red Cat Reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJLGw0lkcdE
- History of the US Flag, In Paper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcviywh9Q_A
EXPLAIN: On 9/11, terrorists from the terrorist group Al Qaeda attacked the United States by flying planes into buildings in New York and Washington, D.C. Afterwards, Americans wanted to show that they disagreed with the terrorists and stood with their country, so many people wore or displayed flags. They were demonstrating patriotism.
DEFINE: Patriotism is love of and support for your country.
DISCUSS: What are some ways that you can or have shown patriotism?
EXPLAIN: Today, we’re going to show our patriotism to remember the events of 9/11 by creating window decorations.
- Think of an American symbol you like or an American symbol you want to create.
- Use craft supplies and paper to create your American symbol.
- Put your symbol in your window to show your remembrance of what happened on 9/11.
DISCUSS: As a person who cares about your country – a patriot – how can you work to make it a better place?