This lesson goes along with the Shanksville, PA Gallery.
Social-Emotional, Service, Social Studies
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th||
Use the example of the Flight 93 heroes to stand up to bullies.
|Activity Prep||Materials||Heart Badges|
Paper, Markers/crayons, Pencils
EXPLAIN: The people who were on Flight 93 boarded their plane thinking that they would get to San Francisco. They had to change their plans and stand up to the terrorists, who tried to scare them and use the plane they were on to scare many more people.
REVIEW: We’re going to learn more about the Flight 93 Heroes by visiting the 911 Lesson Gallery: https://911lesson.org/shanksville-pa/
- Have you ever had to stand up to people who were trying to scare you or other people?
- When you come to school what do you expect?
EXPLAIN: Bullies are not terrorists, but they do try to scare people. Sometimes, you have to change your plan and respond to the bully. Today, we’re going to learn some strategies to stand up to bullies.
- What strategies did the Flight 93 Heroes use to stand up to the terrorists?
- Why do you think they were successful in overtaking the plane?
GROUP: students into groups of 2-4.
- Choose a strategy we listed that the Flight 93 Heroes used.
- Think about how to adapt that strategy to standing up to bullies.
- Create a way to teach that strategy to others by choosing one of the following:
- Drawing a comic strip
- Creating a skit
- Writing a step-by-step guide
- Share your finished product with the class.
DISCUSS: How can you use some of the strategies the Flight 93 Heroes used to help you in another part of your life?