This lesson goes along with the Real Life Superheroes Gallery.
Social-Emotional, Arts & Crafts, Social Studies
|3rd, 4th, 5th||
Learn about and make trading cards of 9/11 Real-Life Superheroes.
|Activity Prep||Materials||Heart Badges|
Index cards, Pencils, Markers/crayons
EXPLAIN: 9/11 was a tragic day for the United States and the world because so many people were hurt and died. First responders did their job and worked hard to rescue as many people as they could. But regular people also rose up to serve others on that day.
- Was there a time that was hard where you saw someone helping another person? What happened?
- Was there a time that was hard where you helped someone? What happened?
EXPLAIN: Today, we’re going to learn more about the real-life superheroes who responded to 9/11 and make trading cards of them.
REVIEW: The Real-Life Superheroes Gallery on the 9/11 Lesson site: https://911lesson.org/real-life-superheroes/
DISCUSS: What superheroes are you interested in learning about?
- Read more about your superhero(es).
- On the blank side of your index card, draw a picture of your superhero.
- On the lined side of your index card, write a brief description of what the real-life superhero did.
- Share your cards with the class.
- Did you learn more about a real-life superhero?
- Would you want the card for a real life superhero other than your own?
- What kind of skills would you need to be a real-life superhero in a difficult situation?
DISCUSS: How can you work to become a real-life superhero in a difficult situation, just like these people?
Category: Gallery Lesson Plans, Lesson Plans