Social-Emotional, Games, Social Studies
|K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th||
Explore the EMT response and learn how to be quick and careful.
|Activity Prep||Materials||Heart Badges|
Set up an obstacle course.
Eggs (plastic or real), Spoons, Obstacle course items
EXPLAIN: On 9/11, whether emergency medical personnel were in either Washington, DC, or New York City, they had to respond quickly to the high number of patients coming in with injuries, in order to help as many people as possible.
PLAY: First Aid Scramble on The 9/11 Lesson site.
- Was it easy to tell what treatment was right for what patient?
- How might it have been harder to treat the patients in real life than online?
- Do you think it would be easy to treat patient after patient?
EXPLAIN: Emergency medical personnel worked very hard, and some other people who had medical knowledge helped when EMTs weren’t available.
VISIT: EMT Response Gallery at the 9/11 Lesson: https://911lesson.org/emt-response/
- What surprised you about what you learned?
- What qualities do you think EMTs need to have to do their job well?
EXPLAIN: Today, we are going to feel some of what it might be like to be an EMT during a disaster by running an obstacle course with an egg.
- Take an egg and draw a face on it.
- Place your egg on your spoon.
- When I say go, make your way through the obstacle course.
- At the end, place your egg in its hospital bed (egg carton).
- If you drop your egg, you have to go back to the beginning to do it all again.
- Was it easy or hard to get the egg to the end without dropping it?
- What strategies did you use to keep from dropping the egg?
- How do you think this is similar to the work of and EMT?
- How can you improve your care for your egg patients?
REPLAY: Egg obstacle course
- What did you do differently?
- Was it easier to do the course after you had done it before?
EXPLAIN: EMTs actually practice for large-scale disasters like the 9/11 attacks so that they can learn how best to respond to save the most people.
DISCUSS: How can you save time when you slow down?