Social-Emotional, Arts & Crafts, Service, Social Studies
|K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th||
Read the featured book, 9/11 Never Forget: Love Always Wins, and create your own chalk drawings to inspire and empower others.
|Activity Prep||Materials||Heart Badges|
Never Forget 9/11 book or video, chalk
|Bullying, Human Rights, Rescue, Veterans, General|
EXPLAIN: 9/11 was a difficult day in American history, but it also showed how people can come together and help each other in times of great sadness, difficulty, and loss.
READ: Never Forget 9/11: Love Always Wins.
- What part stuck out to you the most?
- What did you learn about 9/11?
- How did Jayden and Pia use their Superpowers to defeat Krumi?
EXPLAIN: We all have superpowers that we can use to fight Krumi – the dark cloud of apathy. We can find those superpowers by using our talents to help a cause our hearts care about.
INSTRUCT: Turn and talk to a partner about a difficult time s/he has experienced, and who supported him/her during that difficult time.
DISCUSS: How was Jayden using his talent to try to make people feel better?
EXPLAIN: Today, we are going to create outdoor art to help people feel better, just like Jayden.
- What can you create to make someone smile?
- How can you empower someone during a difficult time with art?
- What might you want to see if you were feeling sad, hurt, or bullied?
INSTRUCT: Create a chalk design that shows people in our community that love always wins.
DISCUSS: How can you use your talent to show someone you know that love always wins?